Terrain refers to the type of ground the unit stands or walks on. Each type of terrain has its own movement costs and bonuses, given below.
NOTE: Flying units do NOT receive any bonuses from terrain. Also, thrones only give physical defense bonuses instead of bonuses for both defense and resistance.
Any terrain not listed do not give bonuses.
|Terrain||Evasion Bonus||DEF/RES Bonus|
Terrain has the following costs, for the specified units/classes (fliers are unaffected and always have movement costs of 1):
- Forest: 3 for mounted units except Rangers; 2 for other classes
- River: 2 for Pirates and Berserkers; 5 for Lords, Thieves, Assassins, Swordmasters, Heroes, Snipers, and Rangers; no one else can pass but flying units
- Sea: 2 for Pirates and Berserkers; no one else can pass but flying units
- Mountain: 6 for promoted units except Rangers; 5 for Rangers, 3 for Fighters, Warriors, Pirates, and Berserkers; 4 for other foot units besides Knights and Generals
- High Mountain: 4 for Berserkers and Brigands; no one else can pass but flying units
- Desert: All flying units and unmounted magic units are unaffected; unpromoted mounted units have a movement of 1; Fighters and Knights have a movement of 1; promoted mounted units, Generals and Warriors have a movement of 2; Thieves have a movement of 3; all other unpromoted units have a movement of 2 and all other promoted units have a movement of 3
Other effects by certain terrain:
Fort: A fort can replenish life to a unit on it, restoring 3 HP to the unit at the beginning of the turn.
Throne: A throne has a similar effect, restoring 4 HP to the unit (usually the boss) that stands on the throne at the beginning of the turn.